Anyway, we eventually ended up on the patio smoking our cigars anyway (we weren't gonna go all the way out to Battleground and not partake tonight.) And we talked. It was good. We got things out to each other, and released a lot of the frustration. And we both feel that it wouldn't be as bad except for the guilt trip mentioned in the previous post. We're both more mad at her than Andrew. But... whatevs. I did end up sending a text to Andrew, and let him know that I hated the way the night ended and felt a little better. But while we were talking a few quotes and quotations came up. I usually end up mixing my quotes, but they all generally end up with the same conclusion. Of course tonight I came up with a pretty good one. It's the kicker at the end.
Let's go through what I'd like to iterate for tonight.
"This is the best of all possible worlds."~ Dr. Pangloss, "Candide" by Voltaire
I am a HUGE fan of Candide. My first introduction was really AP Euro last year, when we studied Voltaire, and I decided to write a paper on him, and focused on Candide after reading the SparkNotes for it. Then I discovered the musical after doing the overture in band, and finding the DVD at the library. It was amazing. And I would love to own it.
Anyway... The whole point of the story is that it's stupid to just accept things to happen, it's a satire on Communism/Socialism. But I've found that if you really think this to be the best of all possible worlds, then it WILL be.
"It is what you make it"
I mean, this is a pretty popular saying. I tend to pair it with Dr. Pangloss' wonderful insight.
Here's my own personal addition to the inspirational table:
"Life sucks, so just sit back and enjoy the blow job."
Not something I'll be telling my family anytime soon... But it works.

No comments:
Post a Comment